Monday, June 23, 2014

THE BEGINNING - TIME OUT RESTAURANT - CHAPEL HILL, NC

Big Daddy and I hate BAD food! We especially hate bad food that we have to pay for. This past weekend we ventured into Chapel Hill, North Carolina to try out the food at Time Out Restaurant. It's billed as a no-frills, counter-service eatery, open 24-hours for comfort food like fried chicken and biscuits.

Did they say fried chicken? They did. Of course, you already know Big Daddy and I are obsessed with good fried chicken. If you didn't, you do now. As well, Time Out was featured on the Travel Channel's Man v. Food show. Their infamous chicken and cheddar biscuit was deemed the best in the world!

We could not have been more disappointed.

Time Out hasn't seen any soap and water on the floors and tables since Adam Richman and his camera crew left. But we've had some of our best meals in some really divey locations so I wasn't but so turned off. As well, knowing that it's a late night haunt for UNC students, I wasn't expecting but so much in the way of ambiance. Big Daddy ordered that infamous chicken and cheddar biscuit. I'm not a fan of cheese on my chicken so I ordered a two-piece chicken platter with collards, cornbread, and a slice of sweet potato pie. With two iced teas the meal cost us $17.84.

Big Daddy gave his chicken cheddar biscuit a thumbs up. The biscuit was a tad doughier that he likes but the combination was a winner for him.

The chicken was just okay for me. It had clearly been sitting under a heat lamp a day longer than it should have. The collards were bland and don't even get me started on the pie. Big Daddy says the flavor was okay but I couldn't get past the texture. It was like stringy, lumpy paste in my mouth. The only thing I could eat was the cornbread. The cornbread was really quite good but it wasn't worth the $17.84 that we paid. Big Daddy says I should give the biscuit a try but I don't think so.

As we drove home, analyzing every aspect of our meal like we often do, the idea for EAT! EAT! GOOD! was born. Bad chicken was the beginning!


No comments:

Post a Comment