Monday, May 18, 2015

TILTED KILT


I love a great Irish pub! I'm not a big beer fan but when I do drink I only drink Guinness and where better to get Guinness than an Irish pub. Big Daddy is not a fan of Guinness, the taste just too dark and bitter for his liking. He's weird. I know. As for the Irish pub, he could take it or leave it. But I wanted Guinness and off we went to visit Tilted Kilt located in Raleigh, NC. It was mid-afternoon and I was having issues. I wanted an ale and that dry Irish stout was calling my name. Big Daddy was only interested in lunch although he did order a Bud Light.
Tilted Kilt is a good Irish pub. I don't know that I loved it but under the right circumstances, I would probably go back again. The atmosphere was inviting and friendly. The customers lively and their waitresses were attentive. The staff is costumed, the women slightly Hooter-esque in very small kilts with red plaid push-up bras beneath a tied white blouse. Male staffers likewise wore a kilt but not as short or revealing. Doesn't take rocket science to know what key demographic they cater to. And the men were there in full swing!

They have a decent menu of pub/bar fare. Things like wings and chips to help soak up some of that alcohol. But truth be told, I don't know if they're a good place to eat if you're looking for a really good, stick to your bones kind of meal.
He ordered the Irish Dip. It was shaved rib eye steak topped with melted Swiss cheese and a side of au jus for dipping and it was served with fries. I ordered the Pastrami Sandwich. Thinly sliced hot pastrami and Swiss cheese served on marble rye with spicy mustard was a great companion to my Guinness. At least that's what I was hoping for. But to our dismay, the chef was clearly having a bad day that afternoon. Someone had been heavy handed with the salt in both of our dishes. Both were barely edible. And you know it had to be exceptionally salty when Big Daddy couldn't eat it. 

We decided not to count them out altogether. A bad day doesn't necessarily make for a bad restaurant all around. We'll try them again, if for no other reason than to satisfy my taste for Guinness.



No comments:

Post a Comment