Tuesday, May 10, 2016

BEASLEY'S CHICKEN AND HONEY - RALEIGH, NC

We recently visited BEASLEY'S CHICKEN AND HONEY here in Raleigh, NC. And I'm not going to lie. I totally expected to be disappointed. We've been hearing the hype about this restaurant since the day it opened. People have been raving about the food and the atmosphere and it all just sounded too good to be true. There were many times we stopped but continued on by, put off by the large crowds and lengthy lines to get inside. It was hard to believe that it was that good. We both believed that it being new and trendy was keeping the buzz about it going.

This particular afternoon, after finishing some business downtown, we figured we'd take the plunge and give it a try. It was well after the lunch hour and there were actual seats available. So let's start with the seats. The interior design is minimalistic and slightly industrial. The seats are metal stools. Nothing spectacular and slightly uncomfortable. They do not motivate leisurely dining, more like hit and run eating. I imagine they don't have a real problem with tables turning over when there is a crowd because once we were done we were ready to get up and go. Now granted, we both have much backside cushion so I can only imagine how those with no extra butt padding manage!

Menus on chalkboard walls would seem to be a thing. Theirs was posted on the back wall with nice, large print. But twisting around on those damn seats to read it proved to be my downfall. My ass and my neck have not been forgiving since!

We both ordered the same thing this time: fried chicken and waffles with sides of creamed collard greens and the pimento mac-n-cheese custard. From the first bite to the last, I was in food heaven. The fried chicken was just the right amount of crispy with a tender, moist interior. The outside crunch was just divine with a wonderful, savory flavor. It was a very nice complement to the waffle which was light and fluffy perfection. Both were drizzled with their honey sauce which I found to be just fine on the waffle but a little off-putting on the chicken. I just can't wrap my mind around sweet meat. They were a little more generous with the drizzle on my chicken and not so much on my favorite guy's. He didn't bother him as much as it bothered me.

The creamed collard greens were orgasmic! I could eat this every day and still want more. The greens had the perfect amount of bite and chew and the cream sauce was just too darn good! The mac-n-cheese was also a very nice surprise. I detest pimento cheese. Big Daddy loves it. I just knew he was going to have to eat both servings after I took that first bite but boy, was I wrong. I loved the mac-n-cheese! Big Daddy took issue with the texture but once he got past that we both enjoyed the flavor.

The least favorite part of the meal for both of us was the sweet tea. Which wasn't sweet and came in too small glasses. Getting a refill was challenging, the waiter not overly eager to swing by the table a time or two to even see if refills were needed. I hate when restaurants are stingy with the tea. It's a tea bag and some sugar for goodness sake! Next time I'll have to try one of their signature drinks instead. 

We passed on dessert and we ate and ran, neither of us overly comfortable with those seats. But we definitely fell for the hype! Or at least I did! I was not at all disappointed. I loved this place. Big Daddy says it was just okay for him. I'd kick and scream to go back again. He wouldn't exert that much effort. But Beasley's is definitely at the top of my good meal list. Big Daddy put them midway on his.






No comments:

Post a Comment